Looking for 100% free Spam Stopper, then you are at the right place! Although this Anti-spam page is oriented towards filtering spam for businesses, individuals can also benefit from this information as well. I am going to save you thousands of dollars by showing you how to filter spam free of charge! When you have successfully completed the install and everything is working, perhaps you’ll be kind enough to place a link on your site to my blog- a small gift for saving you all this cash :)
I am responsible for our company’s email system of and until a few months ago, spam was an issue that users had to deal with on their own. That was until an employee received a very sexually explicit email promoting good health. She was extremely upset and it didn’t take much for me to see the possibility of a ‘hostile work environment’ complaint if I didn’t take action.
I began to research anti-spam software and put four major products to the test. One anti-spam product stood out among the rest and offered all the features I needed; black list updates, software updates, support, auto white list, antivirus, etc.
Email Filter, the Hidden Cost
The trial period on this on product ran out and I was ready to take the plunge. Shockingly the price came back at more than $12,000 and that didn’t include the $7,900 reoccurring yearly fee for the email filter maintenance, anti-spam and antivirus subscription service! The software had been broken up into modules with each module having a cost. What they didn’t tell me was that the trial version included all these modules, so it appeared that I was testing one product for the base price.
That really irked me! I spent countless nights and weekends testing spam filters only to find out that there was a hidden gotcha!
Free Email Filter
I set out to find anti-spam software that was a lot less expensive without tricks and was fortunate enough to find a filter with all the features I needed for free! That’s right, free, not a cent, a savings of roughly $20,000!
The Anti-Spam product I use now is ASSP Anti Spam, a SMTP Proxy project that is open source and platform-independent (read F R E E). This Anti Spam software uses lists of known bad sites and Bayesian filtering to rid the planet of the blight of unsolicited email (UCE). UCE must be stopped at the SMTP server to really be effective, otherwise, you’re wasting bandwidth.
ASSP Anti Spam is a easy-to-use spam filtering tool that works with any mail transport and achieves email filtering goals that do not require operator intervention after the initial setup phase (unless you want to get advanced with Anti-Spam).
Curious what some of the anti-spam and email filtering features of ASSP are?
- Easy browser-based setup (optional)
- Uses your existing message transport and existing SMTP server
- Works with Sendmail, qmail, Postfix, Imail, Exchange, Courier, Mercury, Lotus Notes, and all other standard anti-spam SMTP servers
- Antispam on Linux, Unix, Windows, OS X, OS/2, and more
- Automatically customizes to your site’s unique email profile
- Automatic whitelist — none of your email will ever be blocked
- Senders receive immediate notification if mail is blocked but no erroneous bounces are ever generated
- Redlist keeps an address off the whitelist
- No-processing addresses pass through
- Makes use of honeypot type spam bucket
- Antispam addresses to automatically recognize spam and update your spam database
- Bayesian filter intelligently classifies email into spam and non-spam
- Supports additional site-defined regular expressions to identify spam or non-spam email
- Can optionally block all non-whitelisted email (for anti-spam zelots)
- Mime encoded and other camouflaged spam is also recognized
- Automatically maintains the spam and non-spam databases
- Accepts whitelist submissions and spam error reports by authorized email
- Optionally rejects executable attachments from non-whitelisted (or all) addresses
- Anti-spam requires little email filtering maintenance
- Active user community and email list for support questions
- Source code included if you need to customize your installation
- Optionally blocks no mail but adds an email header and/or updates the message subject
- Optionally uses community-based spam statistics to identify hosts that are likely to send spam or non-spam mail
- In *nix environments can switch to non-root user. Also supports chroot jail
- Individual users can be configured to receive all mail
- Shows detailed analysis of antispam rating process for specific messages
- Option to forward a copy of every rejected mail to an address
- No perl modules to install — runs complete ‘out of the box’
- Can block spam-bombs (when spammers forge your domain in the from field)
- Keeps spam and email filtering statistics for your site
- Detailed up-to-date antispam documentation
- Antispam can listen on more than one smtp port to filter email
More about the configuring a free spam blocker.